The Wellington Museum

The Wellington Museum

The Wellington Museum in Waterloo occupies a former Brabant coaching inn. Its geographical situation and the services which it offered enabled it to accommodate a large army staff. This was why on 17 June 1815 it was chosen as the headquarters of the Duke of Wellington, commander in chief of the allied armies facing the French forces under Napoleon.

The Duke stayed at this inn on 17 and 18 June 1815. This was where, on the evening of the battle, he wrote the victory report on the campaign table.

The museum is in three parts:

The various rooms in the old inn are dedicated to each of the nations which were involved in the battle. On the first floor of the building are the chambers of the Duke of Wellington and his aide de camp, colonel Gordon, who died on the evening of 18 June. Authentic personal items which belonged to these famous people are on display. Period weapons and old engravings complete this window into the past.

At the rear of the building is a large room offering visitors an exhibition displaying, by means of lighted diagrams, the successive phases in the battle, all supplemented with reconstructions of period scenes and objects of unquestionable historical value.

Temporary exhibition spaces are also available. A shop sells items and books relating to this period in several languages.

Opening times:
01/04 to 30/09: 9.30 am to 6.30 pm.
01/10 to 31/03: 10.30 am to 5 pm.
Closed on 01/01 and 25/12

Musée Wellington

Chaussée de Bruxelles, 147
Tel: 02/357.28.60
Fax: 02/354.28.31

museewellington@skynet.be